Ogilvie, as part of Gateway Falkirk, successfully undertook the Design and Build of Denny High School as Main Contractor. The building was a 3 storey, secondary school accommodating 1600 pupils. The project was part of the multi-site contract: Falkirk Schools PPP and was completed on time in line with the contract programme period of 89 weeks.
The sports leisure facilities included a swimming pool, games hall, gymnasiums, dance studio and fitness suite. Externally a grass football pitch, All-Weather Pitch and a MUGA area were provided. Extensive parking and hard and soft landscaping were provided.
Denny High School was the first of the schools to be completed and gain a BREEAM rating of Very Good in its final assessment.
The following initiatives were put in place at Denny High School:
- Contribution to preparation of Green Travel Plans
- Introduction of cycle racks and changing facilities
- Ensuring footpath access wherever possible to concur with established footpaths
- Ensuring close proximity to access public transport
- Sustainable drainage systems
- Reuse of demolition material
- Reuse of reclaimed hardcore
- Use of timber from an FSC certified source
- The segregation of construction waste
- Rain water harvesting
- Increased insulation
- Brise Solais solar shading
- Low E glass
- Increased natural ventilation
- Controlled site set up and management
- Standardisation of room height to use full plasterboard sheets with no cutting/waste.