SUPPORTING OUR COMMUNITIES
Our success as a business depends not just upon an on-going delivery of profitable projects, but also in our ability to honour our wider commitment to society as a whole. It is our corporate responsibility to ensure our business is carried out in a safe, sustainable manner that is socially responsible and respectful of the environment
We aim not only to reduce the impact our operations have on local communities, but also to make a positive contribution to the communities within which we work. This includes minimising disruption; fostering local involvement and enterprise through the use of local labour, equipment, materials and supply chain partners; engaging effectively with the local community by proactively communicating and encouraging feedback about our operations; supporting educational initiatives and encouraging staff to share knowledge and skills within the wider community.
It is vitally important to Ogilvie Construction that our commitment to communities is more than “just words”. Building and maintaining a leisure centre, a hospital or a new office development brings obvious benefits to the local people who use these facilities, but we want the positive effect of the work we do to be even more wide-ranging.
We have a dedicated Community Benefits team, which works tirelessly on a multitude of projects - in co-operation with proactive Ogilvie Construction colleagues - to make sure that local communities enjoy real and lasting benefits from the work we do in their neighborhoods’’.
This includes working with community stakeholders to employ local people and businesses, providing training opportunities for disadvantaged young people, and partnering with local primary and secondary schools as well as colleges and universities, making sure they are as involved, engaged and well-informed as possible.
Our formal business procedures set out how we implement a programme of continuous improvement, by measuring our current performance and identifying actions required to achieve objectives in the key areas of ensuring safety and health, protecting the environment, supporting our local communities, investing in our people, and working in partnership.
We have developed a Community Benefit Strategy that formally sets out how we engage with the communities within which we work. This strategy operates on a multi-level basis acting as a template to develop bespoke plans on Framework Agreements, individual projects and also cover initiatives organised regionally that address specific requirements of local communities.
The delivery of our community benefit strategy is achieved through:-
- Engaging with local communities to ensure our operations minimise any negative effect and that where possible we take opportunities to enhance the social environment
- Supporting educational initiatives for students, apprentices and the socially disadvantaged to provide a positive contribution to the community
- Working closely with clients, local community and business organisations to actively foster local involvement and enterprise in the communities in which we work
- Working in partnership with charitable organisations, positively contributing to communities through volunteering and charitable giving. Supporting ethical trading initiatives and encouraging the use of fair trade products
MONITOR AND REVIEW
Among the indicators we use to measure our performance in engaging with communities are:-
- Community investment measured by the total amount of investment made including financial cost of employee time, gifts in kind and charitable donations made to local communities in which we work
- The number of educational initiatives undertaken throughout the Group
- The average score of participating sites in the Considerate Constructors Scheme
- The number of initiatives undertaken throughout the Group aimed at maximising opportunities for local SME businesses in the various regions in which we operate
TARGETED RECRUITMENT AND TRAINING
At Ogilvie Construction we are committed to driving local employment within the communities in which we work. We have a proven track record in training operatives and tradesmen, priding ourselves on the high quality of apprenticeship and re-training programmes we provide.
We align our business to the requirements of Public Contracts (Scotland) Regulations 2006 and their Targeted Training and Recruitment (TR&T) aims. We view certain of our larger and varied contracts as ideal opportunities to introduce schemes to encourage local and disadvantaged people into apprenticeships, or back into employment through re-training.
Our company has participated in training programmes on capital projects for a number of clients. These initiatives comprise a mix of full time placements, including apprenticeships, and also “site based” short term training placements as part of an ongoing, off-site vocational training programme.
In recent years, numerous placements of all types and durations have been achieved.
Ogilvie Construction is passionate about preserving traditional trades and offer full apprenticeships in the following trades:
- Plumbing and H&V
- Mastic Sealant
We strive to improve the way we work in order to meet the expectations of our customers, employees, subcontractors, the community and the environment. We are aware of our social, economic and environmental responsibilities and this is demonstrated through our actions and company policies.
- We aim to improve our environmental performance through developing sustainability, each year we set progressive targets for our waste and recycling levels
- We are aware of the importance of monitoring the overall performance of projects and services delivered to all customers
- Our sites are registered with the “Considerate Contractors Scheme”
- We operate an equal opportunities policy for all employees
- We provide clear and fair terms and conditions of employment and offer opportunities for continual development to each employee
- We recognise that Health & Safety is an integral part of our business performance and will provide employees with a safe working environment
- We offer a lifestyle and flexible benefits programme providing Childcare Vouchers, Cycle to Work and a number of other benefits